Friday 27 January 2012

You know when its over (Part 2)

Being at work made life seem so less hectic. I didn't have to answer to the calling of my parents demanding to know what was going to happen with me and Diego. I didn't have sit at home and watch 'The Relic Masters' (my dad's favourite TV show) and pretend that it didn't bore me to death. 
At work life moved slowly, it dragged by; the minutes seemed like hours which at the present time, was relieving to me. 
Yes at work I had to put up with the continuing laziness of the staff, but hounding them to get back to work was something that made me forget all of the troubles I was facing. Yes even after two weeks, I still hadn't spoken to Diego. 
"I'm glad to see you back at work Ellie... I have been keeping track with the orders and we have a delivery tomorrow morning. I spoke to a Mr. Zachary Brannigan who requested on speaking with you about being a new supplier, but I said that you were at a business meeting and couldn't be contacted. So he's going to ring you today at 12:00pm." 


"Today at twelve... right. Thanks Shannon I didn't think you could handle the store on your own, so well... I'll have to leave you in charge more often." 
A smile appeared on her soft pale cheeks, and light filled up her eyes showing an ever growing shade of grey. 
"Has she been like this ever since I've been away?" 


"Pretty much, but you know that Oriole has no work ethic to speak of." I broke out a small laugh at the thought that both me and Shannon shared the same opinion. I knew the kind of person Oriole was the moment I hired her, she needed the money and I needed the help - but by the looks of this I was better off before. 
"That is so true - anyway how have you been Shannon? Have you guys found a place to live yet?" 


"No! Not yet, I keep hounding him to look at the real estate listings, but he just can't be bothered. He thinks our apartment is going to accommodate the children of the future, but with just one extra bedroom... I dunno? What do you think?" 


"Well if you're not happy Shannon, you're not happy - bottom line. Shaun should just get off his ass and grow up. I mean aren't you guys getting married in the fall?"
  At the sound of the word 'married' she hit off in all different directions. Going on about how the caterers these days were so expensive; she still hadn't bought the perfect gown - she wanted a vintage A-line strap Chiffon Chapel, but didn't want the bottom to flare out too much. Then she starting ranting on about the cake! Oh how many types and colors there are! When she had finally finished, my head was hurting. 
 "I just don't know what Shaun's in put for the wedding are? I mean we found this beautiful little Baptist church in the hills; and oh! Ellie it has got to be one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen." By this time her arms were in the air, her face was as bright as  a sun burn, and the noise level got higher and higher. 
"Well doesn't wedding organising sound like fun? No wonder I warned Diego to not even bother proposing!" I glanced up at her to see if she had caught my humor, I was being serious marriage never did seem like fun. 


"Why don't you want to spend the rest of your life with Diego? Doesn't marriage in the eyes  of God just symbolizes that for the two of you?" 


"Well I suppose there was a time when I thought me and Diego would get married...but not any more." Talking about him made me feel nervous like I was wrong to bring his name up in the conversation, Diego always hated gossiping. 


"You say it like you two are not together any more...? Has something happened?" 
The tone in her voice changed from an energetic child, to a sympathising mother - was I that predictable?


"Well to be honest Shannon... its kind of a long story - too long to be precise." I moved over to the clothing rack, a hint that a change of subject was in order, and tried to make myself look busy. 
Silence followed shortly after, and you could hear the noise coming in through the windows off the street. I knew that Shannon was just doing her Christian duty and giving a help in hand, but I just couldn't go through the whole thing again; I haven't even explained what happened to my parents. But then my phone started ringing, completely catching me off guard... crap! Mr. Brannigan - I forgot he was going to call again... but I thought he said twelve o'clock?
"Hello this is Miss. Jenson." I gave my best effort to sound professional, being away for a while really took its toll. 


"Ellie I know who you are..." The voice sounded familiar, but who would call me at work?


"Hello...? who is this?" 


"Its me Ell - we need to talk." Great. Speaking to Diego was the last thing on my mind right now. 
"Diego now isn't a good time - I'm at work - I'm busy." 


"Well when I passed by a few days ago you didn't sound busy...the lady said you hadn't been at work all week." I could hear the sarcasm planted in his voice, he was enjoying putting me on the spot. 


"I needed some time to think - after what happened..." 


"Yeah you stormed out the house pretty quick, I was worried you might have gotten yourself hurt or something. I called Tish to see if you had gone there - and when she said 'no' she got herself in a panic." 


"Well, what did you say to her? Did you tell her about the fight?" 
"Yes..." 


"well what...I don't have all day..." I never thought his ignorance could fuel my anger the way it did, it was as if he knew all strategies to make me blow. 


"Well for one thing I told her that I thought the two of you were flirting with guys..." My patience was wearing thin...


"Not true - what else did you say?" 


"I never said whether it was true or not- and the next thing... I said that I thought she was a bad friend leading you astray..." 


"What! You said that?" I couldn't believe how inappropriate he was, and it was as if it didn't faze him in the slightest. 


"Well what did you want me to say? It's the truth isn't it. You were so different before you became friends with her..."


"You son of a bitch Diego! Any how your spoilt behaviour has affected my friendship - you best run...and run fast! 


"Wait! I know your're angry, and babe I'm sorry I didn't mean to piss you off. If we could just meet and talk about it I think we could put what happened behind us - and move on with our lives. Would you meet me for lunch? Say around one?" I was cautious...I didn't want to give an immediate answer, after all meeting with Diego to discuss our future was at the bottom of my 'to do' list. 


"I don't know Diego, I'm kind of busy today - and I have a ton work to catch up on..." 


"Please... I think you owe me that don't you?" 
After a long interlude and banging my brain in its case, I decided it was better to end this now, rather then later - I didn't want him thinking there was a chance we could get back together.
"Okay... I'll meet you outside 'Reno's'. Be there for exactly one O'clock...okay?" 


"Okay - 'Reno's' it is." 
                                             ........................
"Ellie glad you could make, it I thought you'd turn and run the minute you saw me..." He starred at me as if expecting me to burst out in laughter, I just wanted to get this done, no strings attached. We were over. 
 We sat down together and looked blankly as if not expecting what the other might say. I knew what I had come to say, and even if it proved to be the most hardest thing to say to Diego face - to face, I knew it had to be done. 


I broke the eerie silence by saying. "What's happened to you're clothes?" A little forward I know, but it was the only thing I could think of that could ease the tension. 




"Oh! I worked the night shift at the rail line last night, had to oil the tracks... must of rubbed off - I'll run them through the washer when I get home..." 
"How have you been anyway?" 


"Well I've been coping you know...?" Trying to keep it together... Not really knowing where we stand doesn't help..." He looked desolate, like he knew what I had to say was bad it was a daunting situation to be in. 
I was looking in the eyes of the man I had been with for three years - I thought I knew him - thought I knew all his secrets, but I guess I was wrong. 
"Listen this is going to be hard to say... and I guess there is no easy way to say this." 


"You can tell me anything - you know I have always been there for you..." His eyes eased a little bit you couldn't see the creases, but I knew he was feeling sad inside like I was taking his favourite toy away. I had never seen him look so lost...I felt terrible, like I was the one in the wrong. I didn't want to go back to him - not because I didn't love him... but because the love wasn't the same any more. 
 "I'm leaving you Diego...I don't want to be with you any more..." 


"I was afraid you'd say that - but I guess it gives you the opportunity to sleep with someone else doesn't it?" 


"Don't Diego! Not again... don't you see it was that kind of attitude that caused this? I wasn't able to make my own choices; I was never able to see my friends without being questioned the moment I came home." 


"Because I loved you!"


"No! not at all... because you liked controlling me and having me with you all the time. You call that love...?" 


"I'm sorry 'D'... but when a relationship turns out like that... you know when its over." 

1 comment:

  1. She better hide from him. I can't see him allowing her to live and move on freely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my work! I'm new to all this, so please bear with me and trust that I will get better :)
Thank you thank you thank you thank you :D

Green Aventurine