Tuesday 21 February 2012

Making Changes - (part 5)


The next day I woke to a beautiful sun rise - I had never seen a prettier one. I had decided to  sleep at Tish's that night due to circumstances involving my ex. His previous phone call had put a downer on the mood, leaving things dry between me and Tish but I had assured her I would be more than capable of walking home alone. But due to Tish's stubbornness I settled down for a night on her forte sofa listening to the ramblings of the soaps on the TV. 
On the way to work I drifted in and out of thought. These past few weeks hadn't made a lot of sense... breaking up with Diego so suddenly did kind of make me feel sorry for him... in a way. I knew Tish was right, and that he shouldn't of hit me - we could of spoken about it and moved on with our lives - as a couple. I did miss the way he looked at me in the morning, and the way he smiled at me when I cracked a joke over coffee... I suppose in a way I did still love him. 
Tish had just arrived at work and she wasn't looking forward to the day ahead. Working in the Mayor's office did it have its disadvantages; like filing papers, making coffee, and organising the Mayor's daily schedule. She stopped and braced herself before deciding to move closer to the entrance, when something caught her attention behind her. Diego. What was he doing here? 
"Tish! Wait up!" Tish sighed and prepared herself for what was to come. "Tish! Wait. Up." He said between breaths. 


"What do you want Diego? As you can see I wasn't expecting to bump into you ever again."


"What do you mean? Don't tell me I've pissed you off too?" He gave her a look of uncertainty not knowing what she meant. 


"Well actually 'yeah' you have as a matter of fact - you know... when you hit my best friend and all." 
 "Oh right... you know Tish, I never meant for that to happen." His expression changed from attentiveness, to sobriety and the change in mood made him feel uncomfortable. 


"Yeah right Diego - you know I never did like you. I knew the moment Ellie introduced us you were gonna be bad news - the moment I laid eyes on you!" Tish turned to walk away when she focused on Diego again. 


"Tish, whatever Ellie has said let me reassure you that it wasn't like that..." 


"Like what...? Hitting her in the face? Making her feel like she had done wrong by you? Accusing her of getting it on with other guys? I mean what could be as bad as that right?"  
"No, Tish you have it all wrong..." Before he could finish Tish butted straight back in again. 


"It a real shame you know that? Because she really loved you Diego. Sometimes when I would call her and see how she was doing, she would say how she thought you were the perfect guy. She would say how she wanted to start a family with you, and sell the business...
But I guess we can't all have white house with the picket fence, and the three kids with the cute dog. Sometimes life can be unfair that way... goodbye Diego." Tish turned away and navigated towards the building she had been dreading to enter previously, knowing she had hit a nerve with Diego. 
The feeling inside Diego's chest was just a big dark void, empty and bitter. He had always resented Tish because she had a way of saying things without holding back. He loved Ellie and he would find a way of getting back with her, whether circumstances had changed or not. He could be that man Ellie dreamed of, he would give her the house with the picket fence - the kids would come in time, but he could buy her dog! For it was only the beginning. 


                                              ..............................


At the store, Ellie had spent the day going over invoices, arranging stock and listening to customers whine and complain whilst shopping. Ellie had heard her fair share of complaints from customers moaning and bickering about their lives, in her duration of being in business. Two customers were in the store doing just that, and Ellie couldn't help but stop and eavesdrop on the conversation that was being held between the two. 


"You know what Anna? I've had it with my daughter storming in and out of the house at what ever time she feels like. I'm the one that lays down the boundaries in the family and all my wife does is sit there and tell me how hard I am on her! I mean would you let you're Chelsea behave like that?" 
"Well, no I wouldn't... have you tried talking to her Beau?" The lady looked like she sympathised with the gentleman, and Ellie made her way behind the counter to show that she wasn't listening in. 


"Yes we have tried - Leslie more so than I, but I just can't bring my self to face her. I mean she just gets me so mad that I try to avoid her as much as possible." The faces on the pair told Ellie everything she needed to know without her even having to ask, and when they noticed she was looking at them they left the store.  


It didn't bother Ellie, she had sent her two employee's home early because the store had been empty most of the day - even going on a long lunch break herself. Ellie planned on spending the rest of her evening at the store, then going for a quick bite to eat, then back to her folks house. When a handsome stranger entered the store, he immediately caught her attention. Soft brown hair, light green eyes, a toned body - qualities women usually appreciate in a man, and he had defiantly aroused something inside of Ellie.  
"Hi could you help me?" The sweet sounding man asked. 


"Yes - of course! What is it you're looking for?" 


"A book on genetics - a rare edition, someone told me to come here because apparently you sell unique items...?" Ellie looked intrigued, never before had anyone said she sold 'unique' items. 


"Well that book must be very rare, if you think I have it..." She gave a cute smile and waited for him to reply. 
"Yes! its very rare, looked everywhere on the net to see if any on-line sites sold it - and apparently not, so you were my last chance." 


"Oh sorry to hear that sir..." 


"Jim - please!" 


"Jim...I could have a look for you...but I have to say I don't normally stock books on genetics, and if its rare the chances of it being in the store, are quite slim..." 
"Well I have to try - you see I work at the science museum and I need to touch up on my knowledge on genetics for this display, and a friend recommended this book by Richard Spencer called ' The Genetic Code', and round about now I'm bordering on desperation to try and obtain it..." Ellie could see despondency over taking him and she prayed for the book to be in her store - promising to stock up on more scientific books in the future! 


"Well sir." 


"Jim please - I don't mean to put you out like this but I'm really desperate..." 


"I hope I have it so I can put you're search to an end." She looked at him with hopeful eyes and then moved over to the book shelf.  
 "Richard Spencer you said...?" 


"Yes that's it - he's a bit of a one hit wonder if you ask me, this book was suppose to be one his early publications - which is why its so hard to find." 


"That's why most stores don't sell it I'm afraid. Richard Patten; Richard Becker, you don't want to read ' How to find love in five days' by Richard Mason do you?" 


"No - no, I'm not looking for love as we speak..."


"Really? You already have a girlfriend then?" Ellie waited anxiously.  
"No I don't, girlfriends at a time like this would mean an instant break up I'm sure of it!" 


"That's good - I was worried I would have to stock up on some of those too..." A smile appeared on his face, someone who was humorous for a change. 


"Ah! Richard Spencer 'Genetics in the modern age'...and by the looks of it, it is all we have I'm afraid..."


"Really? That's a recent publication actually - could I buy that instead?" 
 "No I'm sorry no one who is handsome or desperate can purchase this edition - its a new policy." 


"Now that is a shame - and here I was, thinking beautiful women were easy to sway..." They smiled at each other and the chemistry was all most too much to bear for the two of them, and oddly they made a cute couple.


"Well its you're's... if you still want it?" 


"Of course! with you're phone number I hope...?" She stopped in her tracks and stayed dead silent, as if her heart had just stopped beating. She felt like a school girl being asked out on her first date with the hot jock - so embarrassing! 
"Wow! I don't normally get asked out on dates - I hope you don't mind if I say 'no' to that do you?" 


"Why would you though? A nice guy like me... and after saving my life and all, I would have thought you would have liked to get to know each other a little better?" This was not what Ellie expected, it had gone from checking him out - to flirtation, and then being asked out for dinner - all in the same night! 


"Its not that - Jim... but I've just come out of a relationship and we left things in a bad way. I think its just too soon." 


"Oh...okay...I mean if that's how you feel?" He looked as if he had taken the rejection hard but it was too soon - Ellie had been with Diego for three years, and she couldn't just rush into another relationship like that. 
"Yeah I'm sorry Jim - but that's how I feel. But I hope everything goes okay with you're science display." I gave a faint smile, catching a glimpse of the look in his eyes - it was a look of disappointment. 
When he had finally paid for his book he left saying 'goodbye' and the door chimed behind him. Ellie let out a huff, and then sank to the dusty floor below her, arms on her lap and started thinking how she had ruined an opportunity to be happy - for once. 
"He was kind of cute... and he did have the most adorable manner; caring, funny!" But the sound of her cell phone jerked her back to reality once again. 
"Hello?" 


"Hi Ellie? Its Tish... I was wondering whether you were going to come back to mine after you finished up at work?" Tish. Great. 


"Um... actually I was just going to grab a bite to eat and then go back to my parents house - I figured I had ruined you're couch for one night."  
"Oh well where you going for that bite to eat? 'Reno's?"


"You serious! That place is too expensive...I was thinking how I might go back to that bar...Glendale - right?" 


"Yeah - but you can't go alone..."


"Okay...what do you suggest?" 
"Well...I could come with you? I have to talk to you by the way..." Ellie waited for Tish to continue and when she didn't Ellie pushed the conversation forward. 


"What do you mean 'you have to talk to me' what about?"


"Well I'll tell you when I see you...okay?"


"No! Its not okay! spill it!" 
"No really...I'll meet you at 'Giblets'  say around - seven? I'll find us a table if I get there before you, okay?" Ellie started to grow nervous, the suspension was eating away at her insides. 


"All right. But it better be good news!" 


                                                  .................................


"So Tish - I'm curious. You sounded serious on the phone..." We grabbed a seat at the bar, and I waited for her to explain herself. 


"Well don't you think Diego being outside my work counts as serious?" Was she for real?


"Tish...honey...not really." Her face began to scrunch up and the frustration oozed out from her pores. Tish was pissed. 


"How can you sit there and tell me its not serious? You're boyfriend shows up at my work - and then speaks to me as if we're soul sisters!" 
"Tish, you do exaggerate...you know that right?" 


"Exaggerate! You're just as crazy as he is!"
The volume of Tish's voice had began to rise, and her behaviour attracted the eyes from total strangers around the room. Even the Mixologist had started to pull gestures. 


"Tish do you even know what he was doing there? I mean he was probably going to work?"  


"Don't give me that bull! He's a stalker! Trying to keep tabs on both of us."


"Tish could you keep you're voice down - we're out in civilisation!" 
"Fine. But if I see him again - I'm going to the police, and there will be nothing you can do to stop me." 


"Tish, why bother? I mean its not like he's broken any laws..." 


"Oh well assault seems like a good enough reason - don't you think?" Tish rested her eyes on Ellie, and Ellie knew she was bluffing. 


"Listen Tish...I know you're angry but believe me I'm fine. I know Diego went through this phase of finding it hard to let go - but what guy wouldn't? I mean after all...it was three years." 
"Fine. I'm ordering, you want a drink?" 


"Yes. Please!" 


"What do you want?" 


"Oh...um...could I have a 'Jack Daniel's' please?" 


" 'Jack Daniel's'... at this time of night?" 
"Well what are you going to order?" Ellie was nervous when ever Tish caught her out, though she didn't admit it, sometimes Tish brought the 'child' out of Ellie. 


"I was gonna order a 'Sweet Hijink' its not too strong - and it tastes nice too..."


"Okay - well I will have one as well then..."


"Good choice!" Tish retorted. 
"Here are yah drinks ladies!" The Mixologist handed the two they're drinks and then moved along to another customer who was waiting. 


"Thanks." Tish took her drink, and then inhaled the sweet aroma that flowed from the cup.  She then began swallowing the contents in a hurry as if she hadn't had a drink all day. 


"Thirsty?" The sarcastic tone of Ellie implied. 


"Yeah, been drinking coffee all day - it can't be good for me..." 
"Its working in that office all day, you should really take water with you instead." 


"No. Its working with the Mayor all day that's what it is. Honestly that man really knows how to make my blood boil..."


"Why what's happened?" 


"Don't worry. Hows you're day been anyway? Seen anything of the stalker?" 
"Tish would you refrain from calling my ex boyfriend a stalker. And no. I haven't seen him at all - but lets not be too hasty...its still early." 


"Yes. We wouldn't want to jinx anything would we?" Tish finished off the rest of her drink, and then sat back down.


"Oh! I met someone today!" Excitement appeared on Ellie's face like a kid in a candy store. 




"Really? A special kind of someone I gather..."


"Well he was nice. He asked for my number if that's what you mean?"


"Wow! It doesn't take you long does it?" Tish's ignorance had always frustrated Ellie, who was nothing but understanding when Tish faced troubles like hers. 


"Well, he didn't rip my clothes off if that's what you mean..."


"Yeah - well - would it have bothered you if he had?" Tish responded forcefully. 


"No. He was gorgeous, and he had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen!" 
"He sounds like a keeper, Ellie - maybe you should have given him you're number." 


"What! Tish are you crazy?" 


"Why? its about time you started making some changes."

1 comment:

  1. I'm worried that she is not more concerned on what Tish has told her, instead she glosses it away and then talks about another man. I can't think this is going to turn out good, especially when she hides her head in the sand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my work! I'm new to all this, so please bear with me and trust that I will get better :)
Thank you thank you thank you thank you :D

Green Aventurine